Cricut SportFlex Iron-On is thin and lightweight and is made to stretch and flex on activewear. Recommended for tech fabrics like polyester and nylon.
Cutting SportFlex Iron-on with a Cricut machine
- Place iron-on sheet, liner side down, onto Cricut StandardGrip Mat.
- Adjust your machine settings according to the Iron-On Kiss Cut Guide below (a kiss cut is a cut that only goes through the iron-on film and leaves the liner intact).
- Select and size the images(s) you want to cut. Be sure to Mirror all images prior to cutting .
- Load mat into you machine and press the flashing Go button.
Application is an important step that extends the life of iron-on embellishments.
- Make sure to follow the full application instructions. It is important to preheat, heat, and post-heat your images for the recommended amount of time as this will help the iron-on material set into the fibers of your base material.
- Be sure to apply iron-on material to a clean garment or item.
- Prewash the item before application. Many textiles are treated with chemicals that make the colors appear more vibrant on display in stores. These chemicals need to be removed before applying iron-on film. Avoid using fabric softener when prewashing materials.
- Prewashing the item also ensures any shrinking that may occur happens before application.
- If using a layered design, we recommend only layering with other SportFlex Iron-On to preserve the flexibility and stretchability of your design.
- Do not layer any iron-on material over Glitter Iron-On or Foil Iron-On. The material may seem to iron on fine, but when washed, the material on top of the glitter or foil layer will begin to peel away.
Tip: To ensure best results, test a piece of Cricut iron-on in an inconspicuous part of the item prior to application.
Note: These instructions refer to using a household iron with SportFlex Iron-On. Use this Interactive Quick Reference Guide for recommended Cricut EasyPress settings.
- Remove negative pieces from each of the images, leaving the liner intact. This process is known as weeding. Using the weeding tool found in a Cricut Basic Tool Set or Weeding Tool Set can make this process faster and easier.
- Set your iron to the Wool setting. Make sure the steam setting is OFF for steam irons.
- Use the iron to preheat your base material for 5-10 seconds.
- Place the weeded image, shiny liner side up, onto the preheated material. Apply medium pressure with the iron for 30 seconds.
- Flip the material over and apply medium pressure with the iron to the back of the material for an additional 15 seconds.
- Let cool 1-2 minutes, then remove the lining.
Note: A press cloth (or a clean cotton cloth, such as a dishtowel) is not required, but may be desired to protect your base material from imprint by the iron.
- Find your surface. If it's firm, flat, and around waist high, you're golden. Be sure to avoid flimsy ironing boards.
- Iron with a press cloth or piece of cotton fabric (such as a dish towel) over your material and design to protect it from the heat of the iron.
- Do not layer iron-on material over Glitter Iron-On or Foil Iron-On.
- If a portion of the image isn't sticking, replace the liner over the iron-on film and iron that section with the iron tip for an additional 10 seconds, moving it back and forth with firm pressure directly over loose edges.
- Using the Wool setting on household irons provides the best results for most polyester and nylon fabrics.
- For steam irons, turn the steam setting OFF when applying Cricut iron-on.
- For best results, use our Interactive Quick Reference Guide to determine recommended care instructions for your specific base material and iron-on type.Wait 24 hours before washing.
- If you notice your iron-on film separating from the base material after washing, simply press the material in place following the complete application instructions.
SportFlex Iron-On Kiss Cut Guide
|Machine||Blade Depth||Pressure||Speed||Multi-Cut||Blade Assembly|
|Cricut Expression 2||3||2||Medium||1||Fine-Point|
|Cricut Explore||Turn the Smart Set Dial to Custom and select SportFlex Iron-On from the list of custom materials.||Premium Fine-Point|
|Cricut Maker||Select Browse all materials, then select SportFlex Iron-On.||Premium Fine-Point|
Important: Results may vary. Always do a test cut to verify settings.