Cricut Design Space makes it easy to personalize your project using text and different fonts. You can use Cricut fonts as well as any system font installed on your computer, iOS device, or Android device.
- Insert text onto the Canvas by selecting the Text tool from the panel on the left side of the Canvas. On the iOS or Android App, select Text at the bottom-left of the screen.
- Windows/Mac: The Text Edit bar and a text box will appear.
- iOS/Android: The font list will open.
- Select the font you wish to use. Then type your text in the text box. Use the “Return” key after a line of text if you want to create a new line of text in the same text box. On a Windows/Mac computer, you can type your text before selecting a font. The text will render on the Canvas in a default font.
- Select an area outside the text box to close it. Now you can move, size, and rotate the text.
- To edit your text, simply double-click or double-tap on the text. The text box will open. Options to change the font, font style, font size, letter spacing, line spacing, etc. are accessed through the Edit bar at the top of the Canvas (Windows/Mac) or Edit tool at the bottom of the Canvas (iOS/Android) when your text is selected.
Selecting a Font
The Text Edit tool in Cricut Design Space works very similarly to the Image Edit tool when sizing, rotating and positioning text. It also makes finding the right font and editing text simple so you can easily personalize your projects.
The bounding box is the box that appears around your text when it is selected. Round "handles" in each corner of the bounding box allow you to make a quick edit.
Tip: To know more about editing the text, visit this help article.
Writing with Fonts
You can use Cricut pens with your Explore or Maker machine to write any font by changing the line type of your text to "Write" instead of "Cut". However, Cricut Design Space offers several Cricut fonts specifically designed to be drawn with a pen and not cut. While most fonts will trace the outside of the letters, “writing style” fonts feature letters with single strokes, so they are the most similar to handwritten text. When selecting a font, you can choose a font with a Writing style.
System fonts are fonts that are installed on your computer or mobile device. Cricut Design Space automatically accesses your system fonts each time you sign in and allows you to use them in Design Space projects for free.
When downloading fonts to your computer or device, follow the instructions on the font site or app to ensure that the font is successfully installed on your computer or device. Because system fonts are installed on a particular device, the available system fonts may vary between devices.
Select your platform from below for step-by-step instructions:
- Select "Text" from the design panel to the left of the canvas.
- The Text Edit bar will appear. You can either type your text first or select a font first.
- Click on the Font drop-down menu. Then select the "System" index. The font list will refresh and display only the fonts installed on that computer.
- Select the desired font. If you have already typed some text on your design screen it will change to reflect your selection. If you have not yet typed text, the text that you proceed to add will appear on the canvas in the selected font.
- Select "Text" at the bottom of the Canvas screen.
- The font list will appear.
- Select the "System" index. The font list will refresh and display only the fonts installed on that device.
- Select the desired font, then type your text. It will render on the Canvas in the selected font.
- Select "Text" at the bottom of the screen.
- You will be prompted to select your font from a font list that will display all available fonts including those installed on that mobile device. System fonts will be labeled "System".
- Scroll or search the list to find a system font to select.
- Select the desired font, then type your text. It will appear on the Canvas in the selected font.
Note: Since the system fonts are not designed by Cricut, some of them may have design components that are not compatible with Cricut Design Space. This may result in a failure to import into Design Space, or unusual behavior when used in Design Space.