Turn heads with the eye-catching shine of Cricut® Foil Iron-on! Customize fashion, accessories, party and home décor, and more with this fun heat transfer material.
Cutting Foil Iron-On with a Cricut Machine
- Place Foil Iron-on, liner side down, onto Cricut StandardGrip cutting mat.
- Adjust your machine settings according to the Iron-on Custom Cut Guide below. (A kiss cut goes through the iron-on film and leaves the liner intact).
- Size and select the image(s) you want to cut. Be sure to flip all images prior to cutting so they appear backward (mirror image).
- Load mat into the machine and cut iron-on.
The application is an important step when it comes to extending the life of embellished items.
- Make sure you are following the full application instructions. It is important to pre-heat, heat, and post-heat your images for the recommended amount of time as this will help the iron-on material set into the fibers of the item onto which it is being ironed.
- Be sure you are applying the iron-on material to a clean garment or item.
- Pre-wash the item before application. Many companies treat clothes with chemicals that make the colors look more vibrant on display in stores. These chemicals need to be removed before applying iron-on. Avoid using fabric softener when pre-washing materials.
- Pre-washing the item before the application will also eliminate any shrinking that may occur.
- Do not layer any iron-on material over glitter iron-on. The material may seem to iron-on fine, but when washed, the material on top of the glitter layer will begin to peel away. However, glitter iron-on may be layered on top of iron-on lite.
Tip: To ensure best results, test a piece of Cricut Iron-on in an inconspicuous part of the item prior to application.
Note: These instructions are for using a household iron with Foil Iron-On. Use the Cricut Heat Guide for recommended EasyPress settings.
- Remove negative Cricut Iron-on film, leaving only the desired cut image on the liner. (This process is called weeding.) For best results, use the Weeder found in the Cricut Tool Kit.
- Set your iron to the Wool setting. Make sure the steam setting is OFF for steam irons.
- Use the iron to preheat the area of the material where you will be applying your cut image for 10 seconds.
- Place the weeded image, liner side up, onto the preheated material. Apply medium pressure with the iron for 25 to 30 seconds.
- Flip the material over and apply medium pressure with the iron for an additional 25 to 30 seconds.
- Use a cool peel to remove the liner.
Wait 24 hours before washing. Handwash the embellished item inside out in cold water. Do not bleach. Do not tumble dry. If necessary, iron back side of the garment.
Foil Iron-on Custom Cut Guide
|Machine||Blade Depth||Pressure||Speed||Multi-Cut||Blade Assembly|
|Cricut Expression 2||4||3||High||1||Fine Point|
|Cricut Imagine||3||3||High||1||Fine Point|
|Cricut Explore||Turn the Smart Set Dial to "Custom" and select "Foil Iron-On" from the list of custom materials.||Premium Fine Point|
|Cricut Maker||Select "Browse all materials," then select "Foil Iron-On".||Premium Fine Point|
Important: Results may vary. Always do a test cut to verify settings.