For certain errors with the Expression 2, Gypsy, or Imagine machines, a Format and Restore may be needed to resolve the issue. You can perform a Format and Restore on your Expression 2, Gypsy, or Imagine by following the steps below.
- Download and install the latest Cricut Sync software.
- Make sure the machine is not connected to the computer.
- Open Cricut Sync and you will get a message that the device is not connected to the computer.
- Select Help from the top left-hand corner and select the machine (Imagine/Expression 2/Gypsy) from the menu.
- Answer the troubleshooting questions in this manner: Y, N, N, N, Y.
- Boot your machine into recovery mode:
- Expression 2: While the machine is off, press Home, Pause & Power buttons together until you get a blue screen.
- Imagine: While the machine is off, press Menu, the button below Menu and Power buttons together until you get a blue screen.
- Gypsy: While the machine is off, hold down the bottom left silver button, the silver Circle button, and power all at the same time until you get a blue screen.
- Now connect the Cricut machine to the computer using the USB cable.
- Cricut Sync should pick up the machine and complete the Format and Restore process.
Note: This process can take 45-60 minutes. Please ensure that the USB cable is firmly seated into the port of the machine, and your computer does not enter into sleep mode.
Important: The saved projects in your Gypsy will be erased during this process, however, the linked cartridges will not be affected.