The Slice tool splits two overlapping images or text into different parts. Slice creates new cut paths from two images, resulting in three or more completely new shapes. Each of the new shapes will show up in the Layers panel as an individual layer.
- You can use the Slice tool to cut out a shape from another shape, cut overlapping shapes from one another, or to cut text from a shape.
- When using Slice with images, you can only work with two layers at one time.
- If you are using a multilayered image, you can either hide or ungroup the other layers to activate the Slice tool.
- When the Slice function is performed with hidden layers, all hidden layers will be removed from the design screen and the Layers panel.
- If you would like to use those image layers with your project, ungroup before using the Slice tool.
Note: Text works a little differently with the Slice tool. If the text is multilayered and one layer is hidden, you can use the Slice tool. However, if you ungroup text from its shadow layer, it becomes an image and will no longer work with the Slice tool unless the text is ungrouped to individual letters.
Step 1: Arrange the images so that they are overlapping.
Step 2: Select both the images.
- Windows/Mac: Select both images by holding the Shift or the Ctrl key on your keyboard while clicking on each layer. A bounding box will appear around both images, and the individual layers will be highlighted in the Layers panel. Once two layers are selected, the Slice tool will become active.
- iOS/Android: Select both images by tapping on the screen and dragging a selection box around both layers. Then tap on the Actions button at the bottom of the screen to see that the Slice option is available.
Step 3: Click “Slice” at the bottom of the Layers Panel if using a computer, or in the Actions menu at the bottom of the screen in the iOS and Android app. The new images will be reflected in the Layers panel as sliced images. Any hidden layers will be removed from the Layers panel.
Step 4: Separate the layers to review your new shapes. When using Design Space on a computer, there will be duplicates of the sliced sections — a cutout from each layer. When using the iOS or Android app, the sliced sections will not be duplicated. Edit or delete the images individually. From here you can continue to layer and slice the images until you reach your desired design.