When installing Cricut programs on a Mac computer, sometimes a notification may appear saying that the program cannot be opened because it is from an unidentified developer, or that the app is damaged and should be put in the trash, and the computer will not allow you to install the program.
Follow the steps below to allow the application to download and install on your computer.
Step 1 - System Preferences
First we need to check the System Preferences to verify the error being seen. Select the Apple in the top left corner of the computer screen and select System Preferences from the drop down. Then select Security and Privacy.
Step 2 - Allow applications downloaded from anywhere
This screen will appear. Notice that the option to allow applications downloaded from Anywhere is not listed. Follow these steps to cause the option to appear so it can be selected.
- Close the System Preferences window. Then open the Terminal. This can be found by using your Spotlight Search to locate it (the magnifying glass at the top right of your Mac). Type Terminal in the field and press Return or Enter.
- A white screen will appear waiting for a command to be typed in. It will look similar to this, but will include your computer name instead.Type in the following command, then press Return or Enter:
Sudo spctl --master-disable
You should now be prompted to enter your password. This is the computer password. It will not be visible while typing, so be careful to type it in correctly. Once done press Return or Enter.
Re-open System Preferences to verify that the Anywhere option has appeared and is now selected.
- The following screen will appear. Select the lock at the bottom left of the window that allows the user to make changes.
- Enter your Mac name and password information, then select Unlock.
- From the Allow Applications section, select the Anywhere option and confirm your selection.
Step 3 - Re-download the Cricut Design Space plugin
Reattempt the Cricut Design Space download. After the download, open it to run the installer. You may receive the message below. Select Open, then follow instructions in the Cricut Design Space Setup Wizard.
Note: Once the application is installed, you can return to your Security & Privacy settings and reset it to your desired level.