Edited: August 29, 2023
Smart Materials for Cricut Joy machines allow you to cut an individual, continuous shape up to 4.5 inches wide and 4 feet long or make repeated cuts up to 20 feet long, without a machine mat!
|Maximum Cut Size on Smart Materials*
|4.5 in x 48 in (11.4 cm x 121 cm)
|4.5 in x 20 feet (11.4 cm x 6.09 m)
|Cricut Joy Xtra
|8.5 in x 48 in (21.5 cm x 121 cm)
|8.5 in x 20 feet (21.5 cm x 6.09 m)
*Size maximum will vary depending on the length of Smart Material you’re working with.
Follow the instructions below to load and unload Smart Materials in Cricut Joy machines.
- When your project design is complete, select Make It.
- Select what you'll be loading into your machine from the Type drop-down. Design Space will tell you how much material you need. Then select Continue.
Note: Cricut Joy machines allows 1 in (2.5 cm) of space at the top of your design and 0.5 in (1.27 cm) at the bottom of your design for the rollers to grip and load your material, for sensors to sense that enough material is loaded, and to feed materials back and forth through the machine. To ensure you have enough Smart Materials for your design, wait to trim them until after the cut is complete.
- Select your Cricut Joy machine from the Connect machine drop-down.
- Select the right setting for your material. Select Browse All Materials to search or browse through all compatible materials.
- When material is selected, the light on top of the machine will blink, indicating it’s ready to load your material.
- Using both hands, insert material under guides. Continue feeding into machine until rollers grip material.
- For best results, make sure your material has a straight edge.
- Once the machine senses materials under the rollers, it measures your material to ensure there’s enough for your project.
- If your material loaded crookedly it will try to realign the material as it measures.
- Smart Materials may bow up in the middle when loading. If your material isn’t lying flat by the end of the measuring process, select Unload in Design Space, then reload
- Select Go in Design Space and watch the magic happen!
- When your cut is complete, select Unload in Design Space.