Cricut Design Space gives you the ability to upload most .jpg, .bmp, .png, .gif, .svg, and .dxf files for free, and converts them into cuttable shapes.
The Cricut Design Space App for iOS devices now allows you to upload any image saved to your Photos (.svg support not yet available). Click here for step-by-step instructions, and click here for frequently asked questions about uploading images through the iOS app.
There are two different types of uploaded images: Basic and Vector.
- Basic Images – include .jpg, .bmp, .png, and .gif file types. These files are uploaded as a single layer, and you have the ability to edit the image during the upload process.
- Vector Images – include .svg and .dxf file types. These file are uploaded as previously designed and will automatically be separated into layers after uploading and saving.
Step 1 - To begin an image upload, click “Upload” on the design panel to the left of the canvas. A window will open which prompts you to choose image or pattern upload. Upload Image allows you to work with basic image types including .jpg, .bmp, .png and .gif image files as well as vector images including .svg and .dxf files. To begin, click Upload Image.
Step 2 - Click "Browse" to open the file selector and locate the image you want to use from your computer, or simply drag and drop the file into the upload window. The type of image file you select will determine which flow you are taken through in the succeeding steps. If you select .jpg, .gif, .png, or .bmp file to upload, you will be taken through the Basic image upload flow. If you select a .svg or .dxf, you will be taken through the Vector image upload flow.
- Option 1 – Basic Image Upload:
- Select the .jpg, .gif, .png, or .bmp file you want to upload. Then click “Open” in the file selector or drag and drop the file into the Design Space image upload window.
- Decide if your image is simple, moderately complex, or complex based on the descriptions found on the screen. Click “Continue.”
- In this step, you’ll define the cut lines of your image. Use the Select & Erase, Erase, and Crop tools to remove the unwanted background from your image. The checkerboard background indicates the areas that have been removed and will not cut. The solid areas represent the image you will use on the design screen.
- Once you have removed the unwanted areas, select “Preview” to show the cut lines of your image. If the image doesn’t appear as desired, click “Hide preview” to return to the editing view and continue removing portions of the image until you are satisfied with the preview. Once the image is how you want it, click “Continue.”
- Name your image and tag it (if desired) for easy searching later. Decide if you want to save your image as a Print then Cut or as a cut image. Saving as a Print then Cut image will preserve the entire image, including internal colors and patterns, and add it to the design screen as a Print then Cut image. Saving as a Cut image will save only the outer silhouette as the image cut path.
- When you are done, click “Save.” You will return to the Upload screen. The new image will appear in the Uploaded Images Library at the bottom of the screen. To add the image to your project, click on the image to select it, then click “Insert Images” to add it to your design screen.
Your uploaded images also are available on the Images screen. You can search by image name or tag, or you can select “Uploaded” under the image filter.
- Option 2 – Vector Image Upload:
- Select the .svg or .dxf file you want to upload. Then click “Open” in the file selector, or drag and drop the file into the Design Space image upload window. Tip: Cricut Design Space™ can work with files created from other design software. The files can include solid colors or solid color fills, outlined text, or layers. However, if you use a layered image, you should ensure that in the original file the layers are ungrouped.
- Name your image and tag it (if desired) for easier searching later. Then click “Save”
You will return to the Upload screen. The new image will appear in the Uploaded Images Library at the bottom of the screen. To add the image to your design screen, click on the image to select it, then click “Insert Images” to add it to your design screen.
- Vector images will appear on your canvas as a grouped image. If ungrouped, the image layers can be moved and sized separately.
Your uploaded images also are available on the Images screen. You can search by image name or tag, or you can select “Uploaded” from the filter in the upper right of the Images screen.
Cricut encourages you to respect the intellectual property rights of others and only make copies of images you own and are authorized to use.