Edited: September 27, 2023
Cricut Everyday Iron-On works fabulously with the widest variety of base materials, including wood! Intricate designs are simple to cut with your Cricut machine, and you’ll weed with ease to prep for flawless application. Find cutting and application instructions and tips below.
What you need:
- Cricut smart cutting machine
- Cricut Design Space on computer or mobile device
- Cricut Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app (for Cricut EasyPress 3 and Cricut Hat Press)
- StandardGrip Machine Mat
- Fine Point or Premium Fine Point blade
- Cricut Everyday Iron-On
- Cricut Autopress, Cricut EasyPress, Cricut Hat press, heat press, or household iron
- Iron-On Protective Sheet (optional)
- Base material
- Pre-wash fabric base materials without fabric softener to pre-shrink and remove chemicals that may prohibit strong adhesion.
- Recommended: To verify cut setting, perform a test cut using a small basic shape.
- Recommended: To verify application setting, apply test cut in an inconspicuous area on the base material.
- Find your pressing surface. If it’s firm, flat, and around waist high, you’re golden. Be sure to avoid flimsy ironing boards.
Design, cut, and weed
Note: Everyday Iron-On can be used in multi-layer designs. It can be applied on top of other Everyday Iron-On, or you can use it as base layers for other types of Iron-On. Keep this is mind as you create your design.
- Select and size your design in the software. Be sure to Mirror your mats in Design Space before cutting.
- Select Everyday Iron-On from the list of materials.
- If using a Cricut Explore machine, turn Smart Set Dial to Custom.
- Place Iron-on sheet, liner side down, onto Cricut StandardGrip cutting mat.
- If using Smart Iron-On with Cricut Joy, it may be loaded into the machine without a mat.
- Load it into the machine and cut your design.
- When the cut is complete, weed your image.
- Preheat base material as instructed in our Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app (for Cricut EasyPress 3 and Cricut Hat Press).
- Place the cut design on the base material with the shiny liner side up. Apply heat as instructed (see our Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app).
- Flip the base material over and apply heat to the back of the design as instructed (see our Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app).
- Use a cool peel to remove the liner.
Note: If using a household iron, use the Cotton/Linen setting (generally the highest temperature setting). Make sure the steam setting is OFF. Preheat the application area of your base material for 10-15 seconds. Place the weeded image, liner side up, onto the preheated material. Apply medium pressure with the iron for 25-30 seconds. Flip the material over and apply medium pressure with the iron to the back of the material for an additional 25-30 seconds. Use a cool peel to remove the liner.
- Wait 24 hours before washing embellished item.
- For longest life, wash and dry the embellished item inside-out.
- If areas of Iron-On material lift after washing, simply follow the complete application instructions to reapply.