Follow the instructions below to cut and apply Express Iron-On.
Note: Express Iron-On may be applied to a variety of materials, ranging from active wear fabrics to cottons. Refer to the Cricut Heat Guide for recommended settings for your base material.
What you need
- Cricut Maker or Explore cutting machine
- Cricut Design Space software on computer or mobile device
- Premium Fine Point blade and housing (comes installed in the machine)
- StandardGrip machine cutting mat
- Express Iron-On
- Weeding Tool
- Cricut EasyPress or household iron
- Cricut EasyPress mat
- Base material
- Pre-wash fabric base materials without fabric softener to pre-shrink and remove chemicals that may prohibit strong adhesion.
- Recommended: To verify cut setting, perform a test cut using a small basic shape.
- Recommended: To verify application setting, apply test cut in an inconspicuous area on the base material.
Step 1: Design, Cut, and Weed
- Select and size your design in Design Space.
- Be sure to mirror your mats before cutting.
- Select Browse All Materials, then search or browse for Express Iron-On. If using a Cricut Explore machine, turn Smart Set Dial to Custom.
- Place material on StandardGrip mat with the adhesive facing you, and shiny (liner) side facing the mat. Load mat into the machine and press flashing Go button.
- When the cut is complete, weed your image. Use a weeding tool to remove excess iron-on from in and around your design, leaving the design on the clear liner.
Step 2: Apply
Note: For precise time and temperature settings for your project, always refer to the Cricut Heat Guide. Depending on your base material and heat-transfer material choice, settings will be unique for every project.
- Preheat base material as instructed in the Cricut Heat Guide.
- Place the cut design on the base material with the shiny liner side up. Apply heat as instructed (see Cricut Heat Guide).
- Leaving the liner in place, flip the base material over and apply heat to the back of the design as instructed (see Cricut Heat Guide).
- Use a cool peel to remove the liner.
- Before washing, wait 24 hours
- Wash and dry garments inside out on normal cycle