Edited: August 31, 2023
Why is my foil ripping?
If your Foil Transfer Sheet is ripping, check the following:
- Ensure you’ve selected the correct material setting for your base material (i.e. cardstock, vellum, Deluxe Paper)
- If you’re using the right material setting but the foil is ripping, the pressure may be too high. Try choosing Less from the pressure drop down on the cut screen.
- Foil should be smooth, taut, and taped to your material on all sides. If not securely taped to your base material, or if there are wrinkles/ripples in the foil, it can rip during transfer.
- Use full tape strip or long pieces of tape to secure the entire edge of the foil transfer sheet.
- Tape may not stick well to mat adhesive, causing the foil to wrinkle or slip during transfer. If you cannot trim your foil transfer sheet to fit — If your foil transfer sheet must be the same size as your base material, or larger — place pieces of other material around your base material on the mat and tape to that instead.
- Ensure tape does not cover any portion of the design area. If the tool crosses over tape during transfer the tape and foil transfer sheet may tear.
- If your project has a Cut step the software will prompt you to remove the foil before cutting. Leaving the foil in place for the Cut step will result in tearing.
I accidentally stuck foil to my mat; is my mat ruined?
The mat will not lose much stickiness, but it will not be possible to salvage the Foil Transfer Sheet or remove the foil particles from the mat adhesive. You can continue to use the mat, but some foil particles may cling to materials that are subsequently placed on the mat. To prevent this issue, trim Foil Transfer Sheet so it covers the design area of your base material and includes an allowance along all sides for tape – tape should not cover any portion of the design area.
My design didn't transfer properly; there are breaks in the lines, or the paths of my design are out of place.
These issues can usually be resolved by the following:
- Make sure your Foil Transfer Sheet is taut. If the sheet is not drawn tightly over the material, it may slip or get dragged by the Foil Transfer Tool rather than being held in place during transfer. Use full tape strip or long pieces of tape to secure the entire edge of the foil transfer sheet.
- Position tape so it doesn’t cover any portion of the design. Areas of the design covered by tape will not transfer properly.
Why are there foil track marks on my card?
To avoid track marks on your card when foiling with Cricut Joy Xtra, move the machine star wheels to the sides of the rail, making sure none of them will roll over the top of the card.