Edited: September 27, 2023
Cricut SportFlex Iron-On is thin, lightweight, and made to stretch & flex on activewear. Recommended for tech fabrics like polyester and nylon. Will not adhere to high cotton-blend fabrics.
What you need:
- Cricut smart cutting machine
- Cricut Design Space on computer or mobile device
- Cricut Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app (for Cricut EasyPress 3 and Cricut Hat Press)
- StandardGrip Machine Mat
- Fine Point or Premium Fine Point blade
- Cricut SportFlex Iron-On
- Cricut Autopress, Cricut EasyPress, Cricut Hat press, heat press, or household iron
- Iron-On Protective sheet (optional)
- Base material
- Pre-wash fabric base materials without fabric softener to pre-shrink and remove chemicals that may prohibit strong adhesion.
- Recommended: To verify cut setting, perform a test cut using a small basic shape.
- Recommended: To verify application setting, apply test cut in an inconspicuous area on the base material.
- Find your pressing surface. If it’s firm, flat, and around waist high, you’re golden. Be sure to avoid flimsy ironing boards.
Design, cut, and weed
Note: If creating a layered design, we recommend layering only with other SportFlex Iron-On to preserve the flexibility and stretchability of your design.
- Select and size your design in the software. Be sure to Mirror your mats in Design Space before cutting.
- Select SportFlex Iron-On from the list of materials.
- If using a Cricut Explore Air 2 or older machine, turn Smart Set Dial to Custom.
- Place Iron-on sheet, liner side down, onto Cricut StandardGrip cutting mat.
- Load it into the machine and cut your design.
- When the cut is complete, weed your image.
- Preheat base material as instructed in our online Heat Guide, or follow the steps in the Cricut Heat App (for Cricut EasyPress 3 and Cricut Hat Press).
- Place the cut design on the base material with the shiny liner side up. Apply heat as instructed (see Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app).
- Flip the base material over and apply heat to the back of the design as instructed (see Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app).
- Use a cool peel to remove the liner.
Note: If using a household iron, use the Wool setting. Make sure the steam setting is OFF. Preheat the application area of your base material for 5-10 seconds. Place the weeded image, liner side up, onto the preheated material. Apply medium pressure with the iron for 30 seconds. Flip the material over and apply medium pressure with the iron to the back of the material for an additional 15 seconds. Use a cool peel to remove the liner. A press cloth is not required but may be desired to protect your base material from imprint by the iron.
- For best results, use the Cricut Heat Guide or the Cricut Heat app for Cricut EasyPress 3 to determine recommended care instructions for your specific base material and iron-on type.
- Wait 24 hours before washing embellished item.
- If areas of iron-on material lift after washing, simply follow the complete application instructions to reapply.