Cricut SportFlex Iron-On is thin and lightweight and is made to stretch and flex on activewear. Recommended for tech fabrics like polyester and nylon.
What you need:
- Cricut smart cutting machine
- Cricut Design Space on computer or mobile device, or Cricut Joy app
- Cricut Heat Transfer Guide
- StandardGrip machine mat
- Fine Point or Premium Fine Point blade
- Cricut SportFlex Iron-On
- Cricut EasyPress, heat press, or household iron
- Iron-On Protective sheet (optional)
- Base material
- Pre-wash fabric base materials without fabric softener to pre-shrink and remove chemicals that may prohibit strong adhesion.
- Recommended: To verify cut setting, perform a test cut using a small basic shape.
- Recommended: To verify application setting, apply test cut in an inconspicuous area on the base material.
- Find your pressing surface. If it’s firm, flat, and around waist high, you’re golden. Be sure to avoid flimsy ironing boards.
Design, cut, and weed
Note: If creating a layered design, we recommend layering only with other SportFlex Iron-On to preserve the flexibility and stretchability of your design.
- Select and size your design in the software. Be sure to Mirror your mats before cutting if using Design Space. In the Cricut Joy app, Mirror is enabled automatically when you select a heat-transfer material.
- Select SportFlex Iron-On from the list of materials.
- If using a Cricut Explore machine, turn Smart Set Dial to Custom.
- Place Iron-on sheet, liner side down, onto Cricut StandardGrip cutting mat.
- Load it into the machine and cut your design.
- When the cut is complete, weed your image.
- Preheat base material as instructed in our Heat Transfer Guide.
- Place the cut design on the base material with the shiny liner side up. Apply heat as instructed (see Heat Transfer Guide).
- Flip the base material over and apply heat to the back of the design as instructed (see Heat Transfer Guide).
- Use a cool peel to remove the liner.
Note: If using a household iron, use the Wool setting. Make sure the steam setting is OFF. Preheat the application area of your base material for 5-10 seconds. Place the weeded image, liner side up, onto the preheated material. Apply medium pressure with the iron for 30 seconds. Flip the material over and apply medium pressure with the iron to the back of the material for an additional 15 seconds. Use a cool peel to remove the liner. A press cloth is not required but may be desired to protect your base material from imprint by the iron.
- For best results, use the Cricut Heat Transfer Guide to determine recommended care instructions for your specific base material and iron-on type.
- Wait 24 hours before washing embellished item.
- If areas of Iron-On material lift after washing, simply follow the complete application instructions to reapply.