Cutting Holographic Vinyl with a Cricut Machine
- Place vinyl (liner side down) onto Cricut StandardGrip cutting mat.
- Select and size images. Load mat into your machine.
- Refer to Holographic Vinyl Custom Cut Guide table below to adjust machine settings. Use a "kiss cut" when cutting Vinyl. A kiss cut is a cut that only goes through the vinyl and leaves the liner intact.
- Press CUT.
Preparation with Cricut Transfer Tape
- Remove the negative pieces from each of the images using the Weeder found in the Cricut Tool Kit, leaving the liner intact. This process is known as weeding.
- Remove the liner from the transfer tape.
- Take the transfer tape in each hand with the adhesive side facing down. Gently place the transfer tape over the images. To prevent bubbles, start in the center and move out toward the edges. Use a craft stick or Scraper found in the Cricut Tool Kit to burnish (rub or polish) the tape onto the vinyl.
- Peel away the Vinyl liner at a 45-degree angle. If the Vinyl does not separate from the liner, simply burnish the transfer tape onto the vinyl again and then continue to peel the vinyl away from the liner.
- Make sure your project surface is clean and dry. Carefully place the transfer tape with Vinyl images onto your surface how you would like them to appear.
- Now burnish transfer tape onto the surface, starting in the center and moving out toward the edges. A craft stick or Scraper from the Cricut Tool Kit can be used.
- Peel the transfer tape away from the Vinyl at a 45-degree angle. If the Vinyl images stick to the transfer tape, simply burnish the Vinyl onto the surface again. Then continue to peel the transfer tape away from the Vinyl.
Tip: If you choose to cut through both the vinyl and the liner, you can peel away the liner from the vinyl and apply the vinyl to the surface by hand.
Holographic Vinyl Custom Cut Guide
|Machine||Blade Depth||Pressure||Speed||Multi-Cut||Blade Assembly|
|Cricut Expression 2||5||3||Medium||1||Fine Point|
|Cricut Imagine||4||4||Medium||1||Fine Point|
|Cricut Explore||Turn the Smart Set Dial to “Custom”. Select "Browse all materials," then select "Holographic Vinyl".||Premium Fine Point|
|Cricut Maker||Select "Browse all materials," then select "Holographic Vinyl".||Premium Fine Point|
Important: Results may vary. Always do a test cut to verify settings.