Edited: September 27, 2023
Note: For instructions on using various iron-on (HTV) materials, refer to the Cricut Heat app for specific stacking, time, and temperature settings based on the iron-on and base material type.
What you need:
- Cricut smart cutting machine
- Cricut Hat Press
- Cricut Hat Pressing Form
- Cricut Heat app – available on your iOS or Android mobile device
- Design Space on computer or mobile device
- StandardGrip cutting mat
- Fine Point or Premium Fine Point blade
- Iron-on/heat-transfer material
- Iron-On Protective Sheet (optional)
- Cricut hat blank
- Strong Heat Resistant Tape
- Recommended: To verify cut setting, perform a test cut using a small basic shape.
- Find your pressing surface. If it’s firm, flat, and around waist high, you’re golden. Be sure to avoid flimsy ironing boards.
Design, cut, and weed
Note: Everyday Iron-On can be used in multi-layer designs. It can be applied on top of other Everyday Iron-On, or you can use it as base layers for other types of iron-on (HTV). Keep this in mind as you create your design.
- Select and size your design in the software. The max size we recommend on the hat is 2.25 in high x 4.25 in wide (5.7 cm high x 10.79 cm wide) or smaller. Be sure to Mirror your mats in Design Space before cutting.
- Select your specific iron-on material from the list of materials. If using a Cricut Explore Air 2 or older cutting machine, turn Smart Set Dial to Custom.
- Place iron-on sheet, liner side down, onto Cricut StandardGrip cutting mat.
- If using Smart Iron-On with Cricut Joy, it may be loaded into the machine without a mat.
- Load it into the machine and cut your design.
- When the cut is complete, weed your image.
- Preheat base material as instructed in the Cricut Heat app.
- Place design face down, liner side up.
- Secure with Strong Heat Resistant tape.
- Rest hat pressing form + hat upright on work surface with pressing area facing up.
- Hold hat pressing form securely with one hand on the side while pressing with the other hand.
- Press with light pressure and constant side-to-side movement .
- Slowly lift press.
- Slowly remove liner when cool to the touch.
- Wait 24 hours before spot cleaning/washing embellished item.
- Hand wash in cold water. Do not bleach. Line dry. Iron if needed (high heat, no steam). Do not dry clean.
- If areas of iron-on material lift after washing, simply follow the complete application instructions to reapply.