What you need:
- Cricut smart cutting machine
- Design Space on computer or mobile device, or Cricut Joy app
- Cricut Heat app on compatible iOS or Android mobile device
- StandardGrip cutting mat
- Cricut Hat Press
- Cricut Hat Pressing Form
- Strong Heat Resistant Tape
- Cricut hat blank (compatible with Infusible Ink)
- Infusible Ink Transfer Sheet
- Butcher paper (3)
- Lint roller
Step 1: Cut
Note: Before handling Infusible Ink materials, be sure that your hands are dry and free of any oils or lotions.
- Place Infusible Ink Transfer Sheet onto StandardGrip cutting mat, liner side down.
- In the software, select and size your design to fit on hat blank. Be sure to Mirror your design if using Design Space. In the Cricut Joy app, Mirror is enabled automatically when you select a heat-transfer material.
- Select Infusible Ink Transfer Sheet from the list of materials. If using a Cricut Explore cutting machine, turn Smart Set Dial to Custom.
- Load mat and blade into machine, then press Go.
Step 2: Weed
- Remove cut design from mat, and trim away unused area of sheet.
- Gently roll cut design so cut lines separate and are more visible. “Cracking” the cut this way makes it easier to remove excess paper from in and around your design.
- Use your fingers or tweezers to carefully remove negative pieces from in and around your design, leaving design on liner.
- Trim clear liner so it does not extend beyond Cricut Hat Press heat plate.
Step 3: Prep the hat blank
Tip: Now is a good time to prep your Cricut Hat Press. For precise temp, time, and pressure settings for your project, always refer to the Cricut Heat App.
- Make sure your hat blank has this compatibility badge.
- Do not skip this step: Preheat Cricut Hat Press to the temperature instructed in the Cricut Heat app (400°F/205°C).
- Open clasp at back of hat.
- Remove cardboard insert.
- Fold out sweat band.
- Place hat form inside of hat.
- Secure hat so it is snug on hat form. Close hat clasp to help hold hat on the pressing form.
- Ensure there are no air gaps between hat and pressing form.
- Do not skip this step: Lint roll the front panel of the hat.
- Cover front panel with butcher paper.
- Preheat hat as instructed in the Cricut Heat app (5 seconds).
Step 4: Apply
- Remove butcher paper from top of hat.
- Place design face down, liner side up.
- Secure with Strong Heat Resistant Tape.
- Cover design and pressing area with butcher paper and secure with Strong Heat Resistant Tape.
- Hold hat form securely with one hand.
- Press with light pressure and constant side-to-side movement for 90 seconds as instructed in the Cricut Heat app.
- Slowly lift press.
- Remove butcher paper, tape, and design while warm.
- Hand wash in cold water
- Do not bleach
- Line dry
- Iron if needed (high heat, no steam)
- Do not dry clean