What you need:
- Cricut smart cutting machine
- Design Space on computer or mobile device, or Cricut Joy app
- Cricut Heat app on compatible iOS or Android mobile device
- LightGrip cutting mat
- Cricut Hat Press
- Cricut Hat Pressing Form
- Cricut hat blank (compatible with Infusible Ink)
- Infusible Ink Pens or Markers
- Strong Heat Resistant Tape
- Laser copy paper (2)
- Butcher paper (3)
- Cardstock (80 lb.), White (colored cardstock not recommended)
- Lint roller
Step 1: Draw
- Place sheet of laser copy paper onto LightGrip cutting mat and load it into the machine.
- In Design Space, select and size your design to fit on your apparel blank. Set your Linetype to Draw and assign a pen or marker color. Be sure to Mirror your design.
- Select Browse all materials, then Copy Paper. If using a Cricut Explore cutting machine, turn Smart Set Dial to Custom first.
- Insert Infusible Ink Pen or Marker into Clamp A, then press flashing Go button.
Tip: If you have assigned multiple pen colors to your design, Design Space will prompt you to load specific colors at specific times.
- Once your design is complete, unload mat.
- Remove your design from the mat and, if desired, color it in using Infusible Ink Markers or Pens.
Note: Before handling Infusible Ink materials, be sure that your hands are dry and free of any oils or lotions.
Tip: To ensure ink does not bleed through onto your surface, place a second sheet of laser paper beneath your design before coloring.
Step 2: Prep the hat blank
Tip: Now is a good time to prep your Cricut Hat Press. For precise temp, time, and pressure settings for your project, always refer to the Cricut Heat App.
- Make sure your hat blank has this compatibility badge.
- Do not skip this step: Preheat Cricut Hat Press to the temperature instructed in the Cricut Heat app.
- Open clasp at back of hat.
- Remove cardboard insert.
- Fold out sweat band.
- Place hat form inside of hat.
- Secure hat so it is snug on hat form. Close hat clasp to help hold hat on the pressing form.
- Ensure there are no air gaps between hat and pressing form.
- Do not skip this step: Lint roll the front panel of the hat.
- Cover front panel with butcher paper.
- Preheat hat as instructed in the Cricut Heat app (5 seconds).
Step 3: Apply
- Remove butcher paper from top of hat.
- Place design face down, liner side up.
- Secure with Strong Heat Resistant Tape.
- Cover design and pressing area with butcher paper and secure with Strong Heat Resistant Tape.
- Hold hat form securely with one hand.
- Press with light pressure and constant side-to-side movement for 90 seconds as instructed in the Cricut Heat app.
- Slowly lift press.
- Remove butcher paper, tape, and design while warm.
Tip: Never reuse butcher paper for another project!
- Hand wash in cold water
- Do not bleach
- Line dry
- Iron if needed (high heat, no steam)
- Do not dry clean