Edited: September 18, 2023
Waterproof and UV protective, these stickers are great for water bottles, bumper stickers, and outdoor labeling! Follow the instructions below to cut and apply Printable Waterproof Sticker Sets.
What you need
- Cricut smart cutting machine (Print Then Cut compatible*)
- Design Space software on computer or mobile device
- Fine-Point Blade and Housing
- Cricut LightGrip machine mat
- Cricut Printable Waterproof Sticker Set
- Inkjet home printer**
- Brayer or soft scraper
- Item to embellish with stickers
Note: *Cricut Explore machines, Cricut Maker machines, Cricut Venture, and Cricut Joy Xtra are Print Then Cut compatible. Only Cricut Joy cannot Print Then Cut. However, Printable Waterproof Sticker Sets require the more powerful sensor of Cricut Maker, Cricut Explore 3, Cricut Maker 3, Cricut Venture, and Cricut Joy Xtra.
Important: **For use with inkjet printers only. Using a laser printer may damage the materials or printer.
- Printable Waterproof Stickers are created with two different sheets – a printable vinyl sheet (bottom layer), and a laminating sheet (top layer). Take a moment to identify and gather a printable sheet and a laminating sheet for your project.
- Printable vinyl sheet has a green grid and Cricut logo printed on the back
- The laminating sheet has a QR code sticker on the back, and you’ll note a slit in the liner about 1 in (2.5 cm) from the edge.
- Check your printer’s instructions or print a test page on printer paper to ensure you know which way to load the printable side of the material.
- Ensure your blank is clean and dry.
Design and Print Then Cut
- Customize your printable design in Design Space, then select Make It.
- Following the instructions in Design Space, print your design using only the bottom layer (white or clear, with printed grid and Cricut logo on back).
- Allow ink to dry.
- Apply laminating sheet to printed sheet (laminating sheet has a QR sticker on the back).
- Peel off the strip of liner just above the QR code sticker to expose a small area of the laminating sheet.
- Line up the exposed area of laminating sheet on top of your printed vinyl sheet and smooth it down onto the sheet.
- Peel off the rest of the laminating sheet liner and smooth onto the rest of the printed vinyl sheet using a brayer or soft scraper.
Tip: Place the printed sheet on LightGrip machine mat to help hold it in place while applying the laminating sheet.
- Place printed vinyl + laminating sheet on LightGrip machine mat and load it into the machine for cutting. Ensure the page is oriented on the mat as it appears in Design Space.
- Select “Browse All Materials,” then select the setting that matches your specific material:
- Printable Waterproof Sticker Set – White
- Printable Waterproof Sticker Set – Transparent
- Printable Waterproof Sticker Set – White Holographic
- Printable Waterproof Sticker Set – Transparent Holographic
- Select Go and watch the magic happen!
- When the cut is complete, select Unload.
- Ensure your project surface is clean and dry.
- Peel sticker from the liner by hand and place on your project surface.
Important: Do not use transfer tape with Printable Waterproof Sticker Sets.
- Handwash embellished items
How do I know which side is the printable side and which is the back?
The printable side is blank, but the liner has gridlines and the Cricut logo on it. Be sure to check your printer’s instructions or print a test page on printer paper to ensure you are loading the material into your printer with the correct side up. The laminating sheet is not printable – it has a sticker with QR code on the back.
Should I use an inkjet printer or a laser printer with these materials?
Inkjet only. Laser printers, and your material, may be damaged as laser printers use heat to affix toner to the page.
What are the best printer settings for Printable Waterproof Sticker Sets?
Set your printer to “high quality,” “best quality,” or “photo paper” settings to have the brightest, crispest images. This will use more ink and print more slowly to reduce streaking. If you start to see some smudging, reduce the print quality to “good”, as your printer may be applying too much ink for the material. Use the bypass tray to load individual sheets, or remove printer paper from tray and load and print only one sticker sheet at a time.
Are Printable Waterproof Sticker Sets dishwasher safe?
We recommend handwashing embellished items. While they are waterproof, the high heat in many dishwashers and the detergents used may reduce the life of your items.
Is the adhesive permanent or removable?
The adhesive is permanent for long-lasting durability.
Do both the transparent and holographic versions block UV light?
Yes – all of the Printable Waterproof Sticker Sets block UV light. This keeps the material from cracking and chipping in sunlight. As printer ink formulations vary greatly, you may experience some fading of colors. We recommend a UV resistant ink. If your ink is fading, we recommend trying a different ink.