Follow the instructions below to cut and apply Cricut Joy Smart Vinyl.
Note: For instructions for Smart Vinyl compatible with Cricut Explore 3 and Cricut Maker 3, click here.
What you need
- Cricut Joy smart cutting machine
- Cricut Joy app, or Design Space software on computer or mobile device
- Cricut Joy Blade and Housing
- Cricut Joy Smart Vinyl
- Cricut Transfer Tape*
- Burnishing tool, such as a Scraper
*Transfer Tape works for most vinyl types. Use StrongGrip Transfer Tape for vinyl with a textured finish, like Shimmer and Glitter. StrongGrip Transfer Tape is too strong for other vinyl types.
Design, cut, and weed
- Customize your design in the Cricut Joy app or Design Space, then select Make It.
- Select your material load style (Without Mat) and your specific material type.
Note: For the rollers to grip and load your material, Cricut Joy allows 1 inch of space at the top of your design and 0.5 inches at the bottom. To ensure you have enough Smart Materials for your design, wait until after the cut is complete to trim.
- Using both hands, insert material under guides. Continue feeding into machine until rollers grip material.
- For best results, make sure your material has a straight edge.
- Once machine senses materials under the rollers, it measures your material to ensure there's enough for your project.
- Leave 10 inches of space behind your machine and guide vinyl into a roll as it feeds out the back of your machine.
- Smart Materials may bow in the middle when loading. If your material isn't lying flat by the end of the measuring process, select Unload in the software, then reload.
- Select Go and watch the magic happen!
- When the cut is complete, select Unload.
- Use a weeder to remove excess vinyl from in and around your design, leaving design on the liner.
Tip: Smart Materials must be at least 4 inches long to use without a cutting mat. You can still use shorter by placing them on a StandardGrip Mat.
Apply Transfer Tape
Note: Transfer Tape works for most vinyl types. Use StrongGrip Transfer Tape for vinyl with a textured finish, like Shimmer and Glitter. StrongGrip Transfer Tape is too strong for other vinyl types.
- Peel liner from Transfer Tape.
- To place Transfer Tape on your design carefully follow these steps:
- Attach a small area of Transfer Tape to your design. This can either be the center or one end of your design.
- Use a Scraper to burnish Transfer Tape onto your design, working outward from where you attached the small area.
- Flip design and burnish.
Apply to project surface
Important: Application of long designs requires care and planning. Take time to plan your approach.
- Make sure project surface is clean and dry.
- Peel vinyl liner away from Transfer Tape and design.
- If vinyl doesn't separate from the liner, simply burnish liner back onto the vinyl and peel away again.
- To transfer design to your project surface carefully follow these steps:
- Attach a small area of design onto your surface. This can either be the center or one end of your design.
- Use a Scraper to burnish design onto your surface, working outward from where you attached the small area.
- Peel Transfer Tape away from design.
- Work carefully. If vinyl peels up with Transfer Tape, simply burnish Transfer Tape and vinyl back down to the project surface and peel away again.
- For best results, peel Transfer Tape at an acute angle.