Note: This article refers to 13 in (33 cm) wide Smart Materials. For Cricut Joy Smart Iron-On instructions, click here.
Follow the instructions below to cut and apply Smart Iron-On.
What you need
- Cricut Explore 3 or Cricut Maker 3 smart cutting machine
- Design Space software on computer or mobile device
- Cricut Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app (for Cricut EasyPress 3 and Cricut Hat Press)
- Premium Fine Point Blade and Housing
- Smart Iron-On (13 in / 33 cm wide)
- Cricut Autopress, Cricut EasyPress, or Cricut Hat Press
- Cricut EasyPress Mat, Cricut Pressing Mat, or Cricut Hat Pressing form (a towel may be used when pressing with Cricut EasyPress)
- Base material
- Prewash fabric base materials without fabric softener to pre-shrink and remove chemicals that may prohibit strong adhesion.
- Recommended: Make a test cut using a small basic shape to verify cut setting.
- Recommended: Apply test cut in an inconspicuous area on base material to verify application settings.
Design, cut, and weed
- Customize your design in Design Space.
- Select your load style (Without Mat) and your specific material type.
Note: For the rollers to grip and load your material, Cricut Explore 3 and Cricut Maker 3 allow some space above and below your design. To ensure you have enough Smart Materials for your design, wait until after the cut is complete to trim.
- Make sure to mirror your design in Design Space before cutting.
- Align material (shiny liner side down) against left material guide on the machine, then slide it under the mat guides and up against the machine rollers.
- For best results, make sure material has a straight edge.
- Press the load button. The machine measures your material to ensure there’s enough for your project.
- Leave 10 in (25 cm) of space behind your machine and guide iron-on into a roll as it feeds out the back of your machine.
- If your material loaded crookedly it will try to realign the material as it measures.
- Smart Materials may bow up in the middle when loading. If your material isn’t lying flat by the end of the measuring process, press the unload button, realign your material with the left material guide and under the mat guides, and reload.
- Press the Go button and watch the magic happen!
- When the cut is complete, press the unload button.
- Use a weeder to remove excess iron-on from in and around your design, leaving design on the liner.
Tip: Smart Materials must be at least 6 in (15.24 cm) long to use without a cutting mat. You can still use shorter by placing them on a StandardGrip Mat.
Note: For precise time and temp settings for your project, always refer to our online Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app (for Cricut EasyPress 3 and Cricut Hat Press). Depending on your base material and heat-transfer material choice, settings will be unique for every project.
- Place design on your base material, shiny liner side up. Press as instructed (see Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app).
- Leaving the liner in place, flip the base material over and apply heat to the back of the design as instructed (see Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app).
- Peel the liner away from the design at the temperature instructed (see Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app).
Tip: In most cases, the liner adhesive will hold your design in place during transfer. However, if needed, use Heat Resistant Tape to secure your design in place.
Follow care instructions found in the Cricut Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app (for Cricut EasyPress 3 and Cricut Hat Press).