Edited: August 30, 2023
Follow the instructions below to cut and apply Cricut Joy Smart Iron-On.
Note: For instructions for Smart Iron-On compatible with Cricut Explore 3, Cricut Maker 3, and Cricut Venture, click here.
What you need
- Cricut Joy or Cricut Joy Xtra smart cutting machine
- Design Space software on computer or mobile device
- Cricut Heat Guide
- Cricut Joy Blade and Housing
- Cricut Joy Smart Iron-On
- 5.5 in (13.9 cm) wide for Cricut Joy
- 9.5 in (24.1 cm) wide for Cricut Joy Xtra
- Cricut Autopress, Cricut EasyPress, or Cricut Hat Press
- Cricut Pressing Mat
- Base material
- Prewash fabric base materials without fabric softener to pre-shrink and remove chemicals that may prohibit strong adhesion.
- Recommended: Make a test cut using a small basic shape to verify cut setting.
- Recommended: Apply test cut in an inconspicuous area on base material to verify application settings.
Design, cut, and weed
- Customize your design in Design Space.
- Select your load style (Without Mat) and your specific material type.
Note: For the rollers to grip and load your material, Cricut Joy machines allow 1 in (2.5 cm) of space at the top of your design and 0.5 in (1.2 cm) at the bottom. To ensure you have enough Smart Materials for your design, wait until after the cut is complete to trim.
- When using Design Space, make sure to mirror your design before cutting.
- Using both hands, insert material (shiny liner side down) under guides until rollers grip material.
- For best results, make sure material has a straight edge.
- Once machine senses materials, it measures your material to ensure there's enough for your project.
- Leave 10 in (25.4 cm) of space behind your machine and guide iron-on into a roll as it feeds out the back of your machine.
- Smart Materials may bow in the middle when loading. If your material isn't lying flat by the end of the measuring process, select Unload in the software, then reload.
- For Cricut Joy Xtra, ensure the star wheels on the roller bar are evenly spaced across the roller bar rather than pushed to either side.
- Select Go and watch the magic happen!
- When the cut is complete, select Unload.
- Use a weeder to remove excess iron-on from in and around your design, leaving design on the liner.
Tip: Smart Materials must be at least 4 in (10.16 cm) long to use without a cutting mat with Cricut Joy, and at least 6 in (15.24 cm) long to use without a cutting mat with Cricut Joy Xtra. You can still use shorter by placing them on a StandardGrip Mat.
Note: For precise time and temp settings for your project, always refer to our Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app. Depending on your base material and heat-transfer material choice, settings will be unique for every project.
- Place design on your base material, shiny liner side up. Press as instructed (see Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app).
- Leaving the liner in place, flip the base material over and apply heat to the back of the design as instructed (see Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app).
- Peel the liner away from the design at the temperature instructed (see Heat Guide or Cricut Heat app).
Tip: In most cases, the liner adhesive will hold your design in place during transfer. However, Patterned Iron-On liner is not sticky. If needed, use Heat Resistant Tape to secure your design in place.
- Allow 24 hours after application before washing
- Wash and tumble dry inside out
- Do not bleach
How is prismatic glitter different than regular glitter?
The new prismatic glitter material is a microplastic, flake-free glitter. The sparkle is created by texturing a film instead of tiny individual flakes.
How does prismatic glitter feel?
Prismatic glitter is a smooth, glossy finish on top that is smooth to the touch. Regular glitter can be scratchy or matte which makes prismatic a great option for garments that will be worn or touched frequently.
What are the care instructions for Prismatic Glitter Smart Iron-On?
Apply to pre-washed and fully dried materials only. Allow 24 hours after application before washing. Machine was cold, tumble dry low. Do not bleach. If you need to iron, only iron the backside of the garment.
Can I use Infusible Ink or sublimation sheets on top of Prismatic Glitter Smart Iron-On?
Yes! The silver color works best, as the darker colors would show through the Infusible Ink. Use firm pressure and apply at 325°F (162°C) for 45 seconds.