Follow the instructions below to cut and apply Cricut Joy Smart Iron-On.
Note: For instructions for Smart Iron-On compatible with Cricut Explore 3 and Cricut Maker 3, click here.
What you need
- Cricut Joy smart cutting machine
- Cricut Joy app, or Design Space software on computer or mobile device
- Cricut Heat Transfer Guide
- Cricut Joy Blade and Housing
- Cricut Joy Smart Iron-On
- Cricut EasyPress
- Cricut EasyPress Mat or towel
- Base material
- Prewash fabric base materials without fabric softener to pre-shrink and remove chemicals that may prohibit strong adhesion.
- Recommended: Make a test cut using a small basic shape to verify cut setting.
- Recommended: Apply test cut in an inconspicuous area on base material to verify application settings.
Design, cut, and weed
- Customize your design in the Cricut Joy app or Design Space.
- Select your load style (Without Mat) and your specific material type.
Note: For the rollers to grip and load your material, Cricut Joy allows 1 inch of space at the top of your design and 0.5 inches at the bottom. To ensure you have enough Smart Materials for your design, wait until after the cut is complete to trim.
- When using Design Space, make sure to mirror your design before cutting. In the Cricut Joy app, Mirror is enabled automatically when you select a heat-transfer material.
- Using both hands, insert material (shiny liner side down) under guides until rollers grip material.
- For best results, make sure material has a straight edge.
- Once machine senses materials, it measures your material to ensure there's enough for your project.
- Leave 10 inches of space behind your machine and guide iron-on into a roll as it feeds out the back of your machine.
- Smart Materials may bow in the middle when loading. If your material isn't lying flat by the end of the measuring process, select Unload in the software, then reload.
- Select Go and watch the magic happen!
- When the cut is complete, select Unload.
- Use a weeder to remove excess iron-on from in and around your design, leaving design on the liner.
Tip: Smart Materials must be at least 4 inches long to use without a cutting mat. You can still use shorter by placing them on a StandardGrip Mat.
Note: For precise time and temp settings for your project, always refer to our Heat Transfer Guide. Depending on your base material and heat-transfer material choice, settings will be unique for every project.
- Place design on your base material, shiny liner side up. Press as instructed (see Heat Transfer Guide).
- Leaving the liner in place, flip the base material over and apply heat to the back of the design as instructed (see Heat Transfer Guide).
- Peel the liner away from the design at the temperature instructed (see Heat Transfer Guide).
Tip: In most cases, the liner adhesive will hold your design in place during transfer. However, Patterned Iron-On liner is not sticky. If needed, use Heat Resistant Tape to secure your design in place.
- Allow 24 hours after application before washing
- Wash and tumble dry inside out
- Do not bleach